The first Brighton CryptoParty will take place as part of Brighton CryptoFestival at Lighthouse on Dec 1st – (more info here & here) and inquiring minds want to know:
“So what exactly goes on at a CryptoParty?”
Cryptoparties are skill & knowledge sharing sessions which aim to teach people the basic ways of protecting themselves and their data from intrusive surveillance.
Generally the parties deal with how to have private conversations over instant messaging, how to encrypt emails, how to browse anonymously and how to reliably encrypt your hard disk amongst other things.
It is very important that you leave the CryptoParty with tools you can use on a daily basis, and explain to your friends how to do it too. All the attendees should come with device(s) they want to install tools on.
- We’ll discuss why Cryptography, anonymity and anti-tracking tools are important today
- We’ll install online anonymity tools
- We’ll secure our communications
- We’ll make sure we can’t be easily tracked online
- We’ll have a drink and a chat
No prior technical expertise or knowledge is assumed, so ask away about anything.